Saturday, January 15, 2011

Focus

I use to have a dog named Greta. We lived on a cotton ranch in Bakersfield at the time. Greta fast became my best friend. Working the fields of cotton and alfalfa was perfect for bonding with a new pup. The long hours of working outside. the long nights of watering hay made for the need of a good companion. Greta learned to play catch with a Frisbee, hunt gofers and ride on farm equipment. I think she loved spending time with me as much as I loved spending time with her.
 As I mentioned, Greta loved to play catch with her Frisbee. My wife and I would joke about her carrying the Frisbee everywhere she went. It was as if she had developed a growth from the side of her mouth, her Frisbee was always with her every where she went, just in case someone might want to play. Greta had an intense unwavering focus on her Frisbee. I use to laugh and make fun of her but the more she focused on her love of Frisbee the better she got at the art of catching it. Jumping, actually flipping backwards in mid air if necessary to catch it.

 My dear friend Greta was hit by a car some years ago. This morning I was thinking about Greta and how faithful she was, what fun we had. I thought of her tenacity and desire to play catch with her Frisbee. The Lord quickened my heart and caused me to realize how he longs for this kind of tenacity and focus on him to be in my heart and daily actions, for my desire to be only for his presence and his purpose.  The busier I get with life; distraction free time alone with my Heavenly Father seems to become more difficult. Quietness before him is a struggle to find, keeping my thoughts and focus intent on him. I have no problem running to him with my needs, talking to him throughout my day. Waiting in the quietness of my soul for his voice is a discipline that takes a working effort on my part. The constant distraction of the needs of life fights for my attention and quietness is a commodity that is in high demand that goes against everything that the world around me fights for and have the greatest need of with my Father in Heaven.

 I love Hebrews 4:16 NAS

“Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need”.
 As I touch hearts with my Dad in Heaven, the sound of his voice quiets my soul giving comfort and calmness to my heart, offering peace from the demands life imposes on me. His expression of love and strength toward me, gives me confidence that alongside him nothing is impossible regardless of what happens outside of his presence he is always with me and always for me.
In his presence I am made whole. 

No comments: